Mackenzie Patel is a University of Florida student studying abroad during Summer A of 2017 in Berlin, Germany. To learn more about her program, click here: UF in Berlin – Photojournalism.
- What is your year and academic concentration?
I’m going to be a third year accounting major.
- Have you traveled abroad before? If so, where and for what purpose?
Yes; my parents have taken me abroad ever since I was a child. I mostly travel around Western Europe and have visited England, Scotland, Spain, Germany, France, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, and the Czech Republic. We travel recreationally and because I have close relatives in England/Scotland.
- Have you studied abroad before? If so, where and what did you study?
No! Photojournalism in Berlin is my first study abroad.
- Where are you studying abroad and why did you choose to study there?
I’m doing the Photojournalism program in Berlin. I’ve visited the city before and was intrigued by its deep historical roots and the emerging arts scene in East Berlin. Also, half of my family is German so I like to reconnect with my European side.
- What are you most looking forward to during your study abroad program?
I can’t wait to learn more photography skills. Our project is to find a unique person in Berlin and document their life story—using photography to create their personality and livelihood is going to be fascinating.
- What are some of your interests and hobbies?
I find Ancient Roman history fascinating, especially the Julio-Claudian dynasty during the Empire period. Creative writing is also an avid hobby of mine; anything from novels to satire to nonfiction about contemporary art is fair game. Current publications I write for are Spoon University and my own website, LearnTravelArt.com.
- Anything else you would like us to know about you?
I’ve been to Rome three times and eat peanut butter nearly every day.