Christopher Shirley is a University of Florida student studying abroad for Fall 2016 in Madrid, Spain. To learn more about his program, click here: Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Engineering).
- What is your year and academic concentration?
Chemical Engineering Major. Will be gaining credits towards a minor in bio molecular engineering on this trip.
- Have you traveled abroad before? If so, where and for what purpose?
I’m from southeastern Michigan so I’ve been to Canada a few times, primarily Windsor. It’s a fun city.
- Have you studied abroad before? If so, where and what did you study?
No I have not.
- Where are you studying abroad and why did you choose to study there?
Universidad Carlos III Madrid. I was looking into to fall classes and with the way the ChemE curriculum is set up it looked like I was going to be taking just technical electives. Someone in my study group suggested going abroad and it just made so much sense.Out of the all the engineering exchange programs UC3M was one of the few that was both cost effective and offered a September to December semester. The more I researched about Spain and about the program the more I liked it. Study abroad had always seemed like something I couldn’t do with my major but once I found out it was possible I jumped at the chance to do it.
- What are you most looking forward to during your study abroad program?
New experiences. I think being exposed to different cultures and venturing outside your comfort zone is just a good thing to do. Also I’m going with three of my friends (s/o Esteban, Sarah, and Taylor) and am looking forward to sharing this experience with them.
- What are some of your interests and hobbies?
Sports, vba programming with excel, sports again.