Laiana Isabel Lugo Santori is a University of Florida student studying abroad for the 2016 academic year in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. If you want to learn more about her program, click here: University of Puerto Rico.
- What is your year and academic concentration?
I am a sophomore exploring my possibilities of pursuing a major in visual arts.
- Have you traveled abroad before? If so, where and for what purpose?
I have not traveled abroad before.
- Have you studied abroad before? If so, where and what did you study?
I have not studied abroad before though I wish to participate in this type of program many more times in the future.
- Where are you studying abroad and why did you choose to study there?
I am studying in the University of Puerto Rico in Mayaguez, P.R. I chose to study here because this is where my family is from and through the years I felt as though I was drifting away from my culture and I wanted to reconnect and get to know my heritage better.
- What are you most looking forward to during your study abroad program?
I am most looking forward to learning through a different cultural perspective. Though I lived in Puerto Rico most of my childhood I barely studied in Puerto Rican schools. I was always in a school in the states or distance learning while on the island so I have barely been exposed to education through this cultural perspective.
- What are some of your interests and hobbies?
I am an artist at heart. I love science and math as well, don’t get me wrong, calculus and biology are fascinating but I am not self driven in them. Art, however, has been in my heart my whole life. I draw, paint and meddle in graphic design as well. Some hobbies are, of course, netflix, knitting (cause I am an old soul in an undergraduate sophomore’s body), dancing alone in my room, crafting, and anything else creative.